♔ Brazilian Aquamarine Parure

Sunday, July 8, 2012

In 1953, the President and people of Brazil presented HM Queen Elizabeth II with the coronation gift of a necklace and matching pendant earrings of aquamarines and diamonds (pictured below). The necklace and earrings were made by Mappin & Webb, Rio de Janeiro in 1953. Elizabeth liked the aquamarine set so much that in 1957 she commissioned the royal jeweler Garrard & Co. to complete the set of jewels, or parure, with a tiara.

The tiara was originally was in the form of a bandeau (a narrow band) with three upright detachable aquamarines (which could also be worn as brooches) on a platinum band. The central aquamarine was the original necklace pendant drop given to the Queen in 1953. In 1971, the tiara was redesigned and adapted to take four scroll ornaments from an aquamarine and diamond head jewel that was given to HM The Queen by the Governor of Sao Paulo in 1968. The central stone of the first tiara was returned to the necklace.

The Brazilian Aquamarine and Dimaond Braclet (pictured below) was later given to her by the Government of Brazil in 1958. The bracelet consisted of seven oblong aquamarines with diamonds. It was later shortened to five aquamarines with diamonds.

At the same time, the Government of Brazil finished the Parure (a group of jewels that are supposed to be worn together) by contributing the Brazilian Aquamarine and Diamond Brooch (pictured below).

Left:  Quenn Elizabeth wearing the tiara gifted to her from the Governor of São Paulo, which was incorporated into the final version of the Brazilian Aquamarine Tiara 

Right: Elizabeth wearing the new and final version of the tiara in bandeau form


Post a Comment