♔ The Delhi Durbar Tiara

Saturday, July 28, 2012

The Delhi Durbar Tiara was created in 1911 by Garrard & Co. for  Queen Mary (pictured right) to wear to the Durbar, a ceremonial gathering in Delhi to mark the succession of King George V a s King Emperor on December 12, 1911. The tiara is part of the Queen's parure (a set of jewels meant to be worn together) of emeralds and diamonds made for the occasion. The tiara takes the form of a tall circlet of s-scrolls, linked together by festoons of brilliant cut diamonds.

The upper border of the tiara was originally set with 10 of the Cambridge Emeralds, acquired the Queen Mary in 1910, but were later removed in 1922 for use elsewhere. In the years falling the celebration, the tiara was altered to take both of the two lesser Stars of Africa, Cullinar III and IV. Queen May later lent the tiara to Queen Elizabeth (the Queen Mother) in 1946 for the 1947 South African Tour and it remained in her possession until her death in 2002. In 2005, the Delhi Durbar was lent by HM Queen Elizabeth II to the Duchess of Cornwall, Camilla (pictured left.) 


Post a Comment